Dealer Network Home
Dealer Network Home    DNet-KM.com    DNet-KM.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Making The Connection    Scan across subnet/gateway
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scan across subnet/gateway
 Login/Join 
Picture of MitaMan
posted
Intalling a 520i in a office that has 4 seperate networks. I cannot get smb scan to work properly on PCs that are on a seperate network (eventhough the PC is 10 feet away) If I turn off windows firewall it seems to work fine. Im thinking that windows firewall is seeing an incoming transmission from a diffrent subnet/gateway and is blocking it. I've tried to go under exceptions and click "allow passthrough from other gateways" or something like that, but its grayed out and their "IT" is not being helpful. What I need to click is listed as YES under group policy, is there something under groups that needs tweaked?
I cannot leave the PCs with windows firewall down just for the sake of scanning. Am I correct in my thinking that SMB is not possible across subnets?
Luke

"Im not acting confused, I am confused"

Posts: 465 | Location: Longmont, Colorado | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imaging god
Picture of drewsup
posted Hide Post
Have IT set up a network scan folder on the server, make sure they make the folder accessible across domains. If they don't want to help you help THEM, put the ball in their court. We have wayyy to much to do these days, sorting out an IT depts security privileges is not worth the waste.

If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito

Posts: 1007 | Registered: December 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume you can scan to other PC's on the same network segment as the machine? IF so the problem is thier IT dept security settings. We explain to the customer that WE MUST have IT give us 'PERMISSION' and 'ASSISTANCE' because IT is not letting our machine talk to thier computer, and until we get that assistance we can NOT do anything to make it work.

Oh, and by the way we always charge "Time and materials" for setting up scanning, too many variables. However, we do set-up printing for FREE on every install.

Posts: 295 | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imaging god
Picture of Scotty
posted Hide Post
While you could make an exception for the SMB port that's really up to their IT person to decide if they have enough security upstream to be comfortable with it.

I suppose if they really need it to be available on two different subnets you could use a pair of routers DMZ'd to the scanner. Each of the routers would have an address set to the appropriate subnet and all traffic is routed (via DMZ) to and from the static address of the scan system. You'd have to disable DHCP on both routers an set the LAN addresses to the same subnet as the copier - making sure each router had a different address:
Router 1:
Internet IP 192.168.5.200
LAN IP 192.168.1.1
DMZ to 192.168.1.3

Router 2:
Internet IP 192.168.1.200
LAN IP 192.168.1.2
DMZ to 192.168.1.3

Connect the scanner to Router 1's LAN side and connect the LAN side of Router 2 to the LAN side of Router 1.

Scan System:
IP 192.168.1.3
I've never tried this, but it should work.

This method could also be used for isolation if two businesses want to scan with the same machine but keep their networks separate. It could also be used with a single dual WAN port router, but those are typically pretty expensive.

Relax? When?!

Posts: 1193 | Registered: November 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MitaMan
posted Hide Post
Jeff...correct, if I setup scan on the same segment as the machines scanning works like a breeze, but once I go down the hall to a work area of PCs on diffrent sub then nada, unless firewall is off.

Scotty, you are blowin me away lol. last I knew DMZ was an area in Korea lol.

After a "talk" with the IT manager, she told me to find the rule to put into windows firewall. Once I find this rule she will do it for me.

I struggle with this stuff, Im still a "copier guy" trying to get all this network stuff down. I can setup scan ok across the same net but when it comes to this advanced stuff I get lost.

"Im not acting confused, I am confused"

Posts: 465 | Location: Longmont, Colorado | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imaging god
Picture of Scotty
posted Hide Post
DMZ does in fact stand for the same thing - Demilitarized Zone. Basically it is a single port bridged mode - all incoming traffic is routed to a single port or IP address without any firewall rules.
This could also be done with one router to bridge Network 'B' to the scanner on Network 'A' - the dual router model should appease a higher level of paranoia.

Relax? When?!

Posts: 1193 | Registered: November 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post