Dealer Network Home
Dealer Network Home    DNet-KM.com    DNet-KM.com  Hop To Forum Categories  In The Shop - B&W    KM-4850w
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KM-4850w
 Login/Join

Picture of UKTeam
posted
This machine is randomly failing to print and 'An Unknown Internal Error Occured' is displayed on its 'status' window in the home page (web browser) a couple of times a week. Don't know any more than that, haven't seen it, nothing on C-code count either, but am now asked to fix!
User is simply turning off/on...
This machine has been brilliant - never had any real problems, just usual Drum and H.Roller changes etc.
Do the ICP units suffer any Memory or HDD problem/errors, maybe?

Any feedback here...?

Regards,
Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: UKTeam,

Posts: 153 | Location: Norfolk, England, UK | Registered: July 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UKTeam
posted Hide Post
UPDATE.

Having just spent some time with the IT guys on site, it turns out they are still using the original WINPrint drivers from the first install (w2K v.3.03.042), which are installed locally on PC's.
The error message in the logs reads something like \spool\DB\files error (or simular)
I've left them to install the newest drivers on km.eu (v8.223) on the server ONLY as a shared second 4850 device to trial for a couple of weeks.

We'll see what happens next....

Posts: 153 | Location: Norfolk, England, UK | Registered: July 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UKTeam
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 2

Drivers didn't help.

Also new Ethernet cable fitted, different network socket used and a different port on the Patch panel now used.

Next, i'll be re-writing Machine and Printer firmware.

Then maybe dismantle the ICP computer unit and give it a clean up. (Re-seating memory - clearing fans - HDD Cables etc etc).

Am I right, the ICP unit is Linux based?

Picture of UKTeam
posted Hide Post
Ongoing - update for you all...

This problem finally became very big for me - it no longer works at all!!!

The ICP unit is simply a basic VIA based motherboard, 256mb of 133 Memory, and a 20GB HDD running a Linux based program written by some nice German fellow.

The unit is in my workshop.
After re-installing the Linux Program on two other HDD's and using a spare Old memory DIMM without sucess it confirms my initial reaction that the Motherboard itself must be bad. Even the VGA output is so 'wobbly' and 'noisy' that the text is difficult to read.

Naturally the motherboard is a extremely rare breed and its manufacturer no longer exists either.

Im currently waiting for a old MSI salvage board to arrive with near matching chipsets, and a seperate LAN card with the Realtek chipset used on the original MB, so I can attempt to build a replacement.

Fun, fun, fun....

Picture of MitaMan
posted Hide Post
I've had all my 4850Ws with "old" style CADs all go through both motherboards and harddrives. Once upgraded to newer CADs things were much improved.

"Im not acting confused, I am confused"

Posts: 463 | Location: Longmont, Colorado | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UKTeam
posted Hide Post
Its done!

Old - MSI Motherboard MS-6340 Ver 1
Old - AMD Duron 850mhz Processor
New - Tenda L8139 PCI LAN Card
Old - 40GB Seagate HDD

Ghosted and booted first time!
They just have a separate push button now to start the unit manually..

... just had to share that success...

Mark.

Catch me if you can!
Picture of Chris L
posted Hide Post
Nice work UK!

Good thing you didn't have the old-style CAD controller, those had Windows NT 4.0 for an operating system. Eek

==================================================
Chris L's Hiking/Geocaching blog (new and improved!)
yoyoartist.blogspot.com

Posts: 1415 | Location: Madison, WI | Registered: January 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post